Ukraine Buys Huge Amounts of Russian Fue... Fri Jan 20, 2023 08:34 | Antonia Kotseva
Turkey Has Sent Ukraine Cluster Munition... Thu Jan 12, 2023 00:26 | Jack Detsch
New Israeli Government Promises to Talk ... Tue Jan 10, 2023 21:13 | Al Majadeen
Russia Training Iranian Pilots Ahead of ... Tue Jan 10, 2023 15:19 | The Times of Israel
Lukashenko Abolishes Copyright Protectio... Tue Jan 10, 2023 15:05 | Nikki Main
A bird's eye view of the vineyard
Alternative Copy of thesaker.is site is available Thu May 25, 2023 14:38 | Ice-Saker-V6bKu3nz
Alternative site: https://thesaker.si/saker-a... Site was created using the downloads provided Regards Herb
The Saker blog is now frozen Tue Feb 28, 2023 23:55 | The Saker
Dear friends As I have previously announced, we are now “freezing” the blog. We are also making archives of the blog available for free download in various formats (see below).
What do you make of the Russia and China Partnership? Tue Feb 28, 2023 16:26 | The Saker
by Mr. Allen for the Saker blog Over the last few years, we hear leaders from both Russia and China pronouncing that they have formed a relationship where there are
Moveable Feast Cafe 2023/02/27 ? Open Thread Mon Feb 27, 2023 19:00 | cafe-uploader
2023/02/27 19:00:02Welcome to the ‘Moveable Feast Cafe’. The ‘Moveable Feast’ is an open thread where readers can post wide ranging observations, articles, rants, off topic and have animate discussions of
The stage is set for Hybrid World War III Mon Feb 27, 2023 15:50 | The Saker
Pepe Escobar for the Saker blog A powerful feeling rhythms your skin and drums up your soul as you?re immersed in a long walk under persistent snow flurries, pinpointed by
The Saker >>
Just Stop Snake Oil Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:00 | Toby Young
Given how effective the pink-haired eco-protestors have been at promoting their hysterical, environmentalist alarmism, is it time to set up a militant, anti-Net Nero protest group? We could call it 'Just Stop Snake Oil'.
The post Just Stop Snake Oil appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
Pablo Picasso, Hannah Gadsby and the Science of Names Thu Jun 08, 2023 09:00 | Dr James Alexander
Hannah Gadsby's ludicrous self-satirising exhibition 'It's Pablomatic' inspires Dr James Alexander to turn his hand to the whimsical science of names.
The post Pablo Picasso, Hannah Gadsby and the Science of Names appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
What Settled Science? Decades of Research Only Widen Guesses of Temperature Change Thu Jun 08, 2023 07:00 | Chris Morrison
Climate Armageddon tales are spun stating the temperature will soar unless fossil fuel, currently supplying 80% of our energy needs, is removed within less than 30 years. But it all rests on a highly uncertain hypothesis.
The post What Settled Science? Decades of Research Only Widen Guesses of Temperature Change appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
News Round-Up Thu Jun 08, 2023 01:06 | Jonathan Barr
A summary of the most interesting stories in the past 24 hours that challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about the virus and the vaccines, the ?climate emergency? and the supposed moral defects of Western civilisation.
The post News Round-Up appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
The Weaponisation of Antisemitism Against Lockdown Sceptics: Join the Discussion With Prof Norman Fe... Wed Jun 07, 2023 20:00 | Andrew Barr
Is it always wrong to mention the Holocaust? Join Prof Norman Fenton at Jews for Justice's first public debate on June 12th to discuss the weaponisation of allegations of antisemitism against lockdown sceptics.
The post The Weaponisation of Antisemitism Against Lockdown Sceptics: Join the Discussion With Prof Norman Fenton appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
Lockdown Skeptics >>
Voltaire, international edition
CIA aware of Ukrainian plan to sabotage Nord Stream since June 2022 Wed Jun 07, 2023 16:06 | en
Global warming and the confrontation between the West and the rest of the world,... Wed Jun 07, 2023 06:05 | en
The reorganization of the Russian armies, by Thierry Meyssan Sun Jun 04, 2023 06:16 | en
Thierry Meyssan, leading geopolitical analyst on the Internet worldwide Sun Jun 04, 2023 04:44 | en
United States massively violates citizens' right to private life Sun Jun 04, 2023 04:24 | en
Voltaire Network >>
The Coming European Economic Apocalypse
economics and finance |
Thursday December 01, 2022 21:13 by 1 of Indy
The bloody war in Ukraine egged on and supported by the USA, NATO and EU continues to drag on as well as the idiotic self destructive sanctions is only going to end up to the great detriment to Europe. In this article written by Dr. Seshadri Kumar he presents his analysis and it is important that these are made more widely known.
At the start of the human tragedy that is the Ukraine war, I delved into the underlying causes of the conflict from the perspective of a historian and political scientist. That analysis, “Understanding The Great Game in Ukraine,” is available here.
Events have progressed since then, and an important fallout of the war has been economic. In this article, I look at the role and situation of Europe from the perspective of an economist.
The European Union has taken a very definite political stance on the Russia-Ukraine conflict, aligned with the United States. It has applied 8 rounds of economic sanctions against Russia, and at the time of writing, is working on a 9th package.
Here are some extracts:
What has the economic impact of these sanctions been - on Russia and on Europe itself? What will happen in the months to come? That is the focus of the present article. I conclude that
- The war in Ukraine that started on February 24, 2022, is going to be the most consequential change in the world since the Second World War. It is going to fundamentally change power relationships in the world. The dominance of the Western world will end and be replaced by a multipolar world.
- Europe’s prosperity of the past few centuries is likely to end because of short-sighted and poorly-thought-out decisions related to the Ukraine conflict, taken by European leaders with the full support of their people. These have to do primarily with the ill-considered economic sanctions that Europe has unilaterally applied on Russia, that have started to boomerang on Europe, with the high probability of things getting much worse in the coming months.
I present evidence that makes the case that Western sanctions on Russia have hurt Europe a lot more than they have hurt Russia in the nine months since they were imposed, and in the coming months will continue to severely degrade Europe’s economies, while only marginally affecting Russia’s. The primary reason for this is that Russia is far more self-sufficient than Europe is. The only action that will save Europe is an unconditional revocation of its self-destructive sanctions and a peace agreement in Ukraine on Russia's terms.
This essay is organized in six chapters, followed by a summary and conclusions chapter:
- Chapter I details the background of the events that have happened since February 24, 2022, until today, especially the West’s economic sanctions as a response to Russia’s invasion, and highlights the fact that these sanctions, as well as the West’s military and economic aid to Ukraine, have not had the effect on Russia that the West had hoped for.
- Chapter II discusses various indicators related to the Russian economy and concludes that it is in better health than many Western nations, especially in the context of the protracted economic war between Russia and Europe that has been initiated by Europe through the enforcement of Western sanctions on Russia.
- Chapter III talks about Russia’s interconnectedness with the rest of the world and, especially, with Europe, in terms of trade balances, and concludes that Russia is far more important to Europe than Europe is to Russia. It also concludes that an embargo of Russian goods would not fatally harm the Russian economy.
- Chapter IV talks specifically about Europe’s energy dependency on Russia, and shows that Europe’s energy crisis is not one of price but of supply — that the energy supplied by Russia cannot be replaced by any other source; that most European nations are critically dependent on irreplaceable Russian supplies of natural gas, crude and refined petroleum, and coal; that a European energy embargo on Russia will be devastating to European economies and cause the de-industrialization of Europe, while causing minimal and manageable losses to Russia.
- Chapter V talks about the de-industrialization of Europe which has started to happen because of the West’s sanctions on Russia that have resulted in depriving Europe’s economies, not only of Russian gas, oil, and coal, but potentially of food, fertilizer, and several valuable minerals that Russia is a dominant supplier of, and how this de-industrialization is going to intensify in the coming months and years. It also explains how this crisis is two years in the making, and that the war in Ukraine is just the last nail in Europe’s economic coffin. It also talks about the negative consequences on Europe of the impending oil price cap that it plans to impose on Russian oil exports.
- Chapter VI talks about what Europe can do in response to these challenges, by discussing the most commonly floated solutions: gas storage in Europe, LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas), and renewable energy; and shows how none of these options will be adequate to stave off the coming economic apocalypse for Europe.
- Finally, a SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS chapter talks about the longer-term impact of the West’s sanctions on Russia, and how they will fundamentally change the power calculus in the twenty-first century.
To read the full article see the link below